SKETCH & DRAW: DRAWING FUNDAMENTALS
GEOMETRIC & ORGANIC FORMS | BASIC LEVEL
About this course
This fundamental drawing course is designed with the beginner in mind. You may already know how to draw intuitively but don’t quite understand why you only seem to “get it right” sometimes. Learning the rudimentary skills and techniques will ensure you can draw almost anything and “get it right” all the time!
What will I learn?
You will learn to draw from direct observation, not from photographs. This is a fundamental but essential skill that sharpens your perception for accurate eye-hand coordination. You will learn to draw what you see, not what you imagine. Topics covered include strokes and gestures; loose sketching and blocking in; measurement and sighting to achieve accurate proportion; and applying tonal values and basic textures to enhance form.
This course focuses on basic geometric and organic forms as a means to understand form, plane, structure, as well as light and shade. Includes detailed studies of objects and nature where you’ll observe textures, elements, organic shapes and patterns found in common fruit, vegetables, plants, flowers and foliage.
Aims and Objectives
By the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Identify the various stroke gestures (long strokes, short strokes) and line quality (width, weight, pressure, consistency, fluidity, etc)
- Explain the difference between loose sketching and tight drawing
- Develop a good artist’s eye (keen observation skills and sighting)
- Identify and apply simple shapes to derive complex forms
- Develop skills to draw with accurate proportions
- Apply tonal values and texture to enhance light and form (shading)
- Apply principles of composition
- Pencil, graphite, charcoal, pen & ink wash
- Geometric Forms (manmade objects)
- Organic Forms (plants, fruit, foliage)
- Light and Shade (Applying tone & contrast)
- Art elements
- Drawing pencils – B, 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B
- Charcoal pencil; pen; black ink
- Eraser – white polymer and kneaded
- A4 Sketchbook
- A3 Drawing block/cartridge paper
- Sandpaper block
Tools and materials provided
For class schedules and timings, please click here
What happens if I miss a lesson?
We understand that as a busy working adult with multiple schedules to juggle, you may sometimes have to miss a lesson here and there due to last minute work commitments or family matters. At ARTEFAKTS, we adopt an open attendance approach and you will not be penalised or charged for missed lessons. Make-up sessions for missed lessons can be arranged at your convenience but must be utilised within 30 days from date of the missed session.