About this course
Urban Perspective is specially designed for artists keen to expand their repertoire of subject matter and drawing skills to include interiors as well as exteriors of the built environment. This course prepares you to cope with the complex demands of urban sketching, which may look deceptively simple but more often than not requires a good grasp of foundational drawing skills.
What will I learn?
One of the key highlights of this course is the indispensable understanding of perspective, which together with strong composition and attention to details, will make your urban landscape drawings truly outstanding. Also included is an opportunity to step out of the classroom for an outdoor urban sketching field trip, so make sure you have your hat and suntan lotion ready!
Aims and Objectives
By the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Identify the various stroke gestures (long strokes, short strokes) and line quality (width, weight, pressure, consistency, fluidity, etc)
- Explain the difference between loose sketching and tight drawing
- Develop a good artist’s eye (keen observation skills and sighting)
- Develop skills to draw with accurate proportions
- Apply tonal values and texture to enhance light and form (shading)
- Apply principles of perspective
- Apply principles of composition
- Perspective – one-point; two-point; three-point
- Drawing Interiors and Exteriors
- Trees, foliage, people
- Urban Sketching (Outdoors)
- Light & Shade (Applying tone & contrast)
- Art elements
Tools and materials provided
- Drawing pencils – B, 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B
- Charcoal pencil; pen; black ink
- Eraser – white polymer and kneaded
- A4 Sketchbook
- A3 Drawing block/cartridge paper
- Sandpaper block
What happens if I miss a lesson?
We understand that as a busy working adult with multiple schedules to juggle, you may sometimes have to miss a lesson here and there due to last minute work commitments or family matters. At ARTEFAKTS, we adopt an open attendance approach and you will not be penalised or charged for missed lessons. Make-up sessions for missed lessons can be arranged at your convenience but must be utilised within 30 days from date of the missed session.